Re: [MMUSIC] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-01.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 15 August 2013 14:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:58:39 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-mmusic-msid-01.txt

On 08/14/2013 07:28 PM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> I have a fundamental question about this draft:
>
> With Unified Plan we have a unique m-line for every MediaStreamTrack.
> Given that, why do we need the msid attribute? Isn't it sufficient to
> define a new semantic ("mediastream"?) for the grouping framework?
> (RFC3388).
>
> There would still be need for a way to convey the application data,
> but that can be done via another attribute ("mediastream-data"?)
> associated with the m-line.

I wondered about that too.
We have two IDs to convey:

- The ID of the MediaStream. The grouping can be a new semantic for the
grouping framework, but the actual ID value has to be carried somewhere
- it has to be associated with the group, so it can't be a session-level
attribute.

- The ID of the MediaStreamTrack. Now that MediaStreamTracks correspond
to m-lines, it makes sense to carry this in a media-level attribute.

I'm sure we can design another scheme for carrying those IDs around.
But I do wonder what the positive value of restructuring this is.