Re: [MMUSIC] Displaying side by side video streams draft-jennings-mmusic-adjacent-grouping

Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com> Thu, 23 September 2010 06:59 UTC

From: Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>
To: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:59:33 +0200
acceptlanguage: sv-SE, en-US
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Displaying side by side video streams draft-jennings-mmusic-adjacent-grouping

Hi Cullen

I guess your input is spurred by the emerging interest in Telepresence.
What I would believe is good is to work on a document that outlines the requirements. For instance I miss a general view on how e.g an MCU should work here. From that work I believe it will be easier to define extensions to SDP.
Question is if this work should wait for the Telepresence WG (if it gets an OK) or if work should start already in MMUSIC  ?

FYI we earlier submitted a draft around grouping of simultaneous streams http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-johansson-mmusic-grouping-simultaneous-00.txt
The use case here is that an endpoint sents two represenations of the same media (e.g high-res and low-res video), an MCU then picks the media based on for instance speech activiy. This is particularly useful for the case that opposite endpoints have only one screen.
Since the submission we did not have time for further work in this area but it is possible that we pick up this again.

/Ingemar