Re: [MMUSIC] Displaying side by side video streams draft-jennings-mmusic-adjacent-grouping

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> Wed, 29 September 2010 20:16 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:17:26 -0600
To: Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
Cc: mmusic@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Displaying side by side video streams draft-jennings-mmusic-adjacent-grouping

On Sep 24, 2010, at 5:12 AM, Peter Musgrave wrote:

> Hi Cullen,
>
> I'm glad to see work start on some of the details of multi-stream
> audio and video.
>
> In your grouping framework it would be useful to specify the full SDPs
> in the examples.

ahhg, I totally agree and really have good intentions of doing this some day :-)

> I assume streams not selected get inactive responses
> at the m-line level etc.

yep - no change to how that would work form existing SDP

> Also, in the case where the answerer has more streams than the offerer
> - would the answer indicate this (or would there be a subsequent
> reINVITE)? How does the offeror indicate which subset of the answerers
> streams it wishes to receive?

Tried to clear that up a bit in the next version of the draft ...

> This is starting to feel like some of the work the TP group (hopefully
> - soon to be chartered) could take on. I agree with you that using the
> SDP grouping semantics is a good approach.

As far as I understand the TP problems, they are taking on a more complex use case but I've always been a bit confused about the exact scope of that work.

> I am not sure if a simple left-to-right semantics will be flexible
> enough. I use an app called synergy to allow my keyboard/mouse to
> range over multiple computers and screens. It has a relative
> descriptive framework: i.e. screen1 leftof screen2; screen3 above
> screen 2 etc. This might be worth considering.

Agree - next version allows a support for a grid ....

> Is it worth cross-posting this to dispatch - due to it's link to TP
> work under discussion there?

Personally speaking, I love posts on list B of the form "here there is a discussion about X over on list A and you should go read it" but I hate cross posting because I end up with duplicate copies of messages in my folders for each WG . I read one and perhaps even reply to it then a week later find the same email in a different folder and am confused about if I had replied or read it. It's easy to say I should use better tools or ways of organizing my email but I've tried and for people reading over 10k messages per month, this is about the best I have figured out how to do so I hate cross posts for threads that lead to real discussion. Obviously there are pros / cons to cross posting and many IETF folks fall into both camps. I'm in the "Anything to never read something twice camp".