SV: [MMUSIC] Re: ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-03

Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 06 July 2006 13:20 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Subject: SV: [MMUSIC] Re: ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-03
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:19:58 +0100
Cc: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, 'Gonzalo Camarillo' <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, MMusic <mmusic@ietf.org>

This is a new effort to describe the "txp" attribute for the
sdp-media-content draft.
My understanding is that the described use of the txp attribute is totally
in alignment with the aims of sdp-media-content. It does not influence
negotiation, it is just used for indication to the receiving user and
possibly direction of the media stream.

Current text:
txp: This indicates that the media stream is originated from a
      textphone, and it requires special behavior from the receiving
      application.  A typical use case for this is a connection where
      one endpoint is an analog textphone of a kind that cannot handle
      two-way simultaneous text communication, and the other one is a
      native IP based real time text capable terminal.  The human users
      normally need to apply formal turn-taking habits, and need to
      figure out to what extent it is possible to interrupt the other
      party if the need arises.

New proposal:
txp: This indicates that the media stream is originated from a
      textphone with restricted presentation capabilities.

      A typical use case for this is a connection between a
	gateway and an IP terminal capable of handling real-time text.
	The gateway gives the "txp" indication when its connection with
	textphone only can transmit the text medium one way at a time.

	In the audio media it indicates that a textphone is connected and
	may take turns on using real-time text alternating with audio on
	the connection because of the limitation in textphone presentation
	capabilities. Variations of the presentation limitations exist. Not
	all of them are detectable. Therefore the IP session should be set
	up for full duplex simultaneous operation, but an indication
	provided in the user interface making the IP terminal user aware of
	the situation. A possible such indication can be to direct the
	real-time text conversation to one common window for both text
	communication directions instead of the traditional split in one
	window per call participant.

	The indication is also supposed to make the user aware of that
	traditional turntaking habits from PSTN text telephony may need
	to be applied. For audio users the indication should mean be
	careful and not try to use voice and text simultaneously but
	leave time for mode switching in the limited textphone end.

	More about requirements on communication with textphones through
	gateways can be read in RFC 2804, section 11.2.4 [xx], in
	ITU-T H.248.2 [xy], and in ETSI EG 202 320 [xz]. These
	references also give more background to the variations in
	presentation capabilities of various textphones.

Gunnar

-
Gunnar Hellstrom, Omnitor
gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se