Re: [MMUSIC] Re: ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-03

Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Wed, 05 July 2006 21:40 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Re: ietf-mmusic-sdp-media-content-03
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:40:36 +0100
Cc: 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, 'Gonzalo Camarillo' <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, MMusic <mmusic@ietf.org>

Colin, Cullen and all,
We have had a brief discussion about the "txp" attribute for the
media-content parameter.
I want to bring this discussion to the list.

We have been asked to provide a more clear definition of what content:"txp"
means.
During these efforts, Colin and Cullen have started to question if it was
right to include the "txp" attribute in this draft. They see some difference
in type of the "txp" attribute from the other attributes in the draft.

I have not seen that difference.
By the end of section 5, there is a statement "All of these values can be
used with any media type."
We have specified "txp" so far mainly to be used together with the text
medium specification.
But we can define it to have meaning also for audio. It would then mean that
audio contents is intermittently used and takes turns with text contents.
The party signaling this attribute is likely a PSTN gateway. Between the
gateway and the endpoint receiving the indication there is no strict
restriction on the media. It is rather how their contents is used that is
specified.

Many of the other attributes are also easiest foreseable for one specific
medium.

sl for sign lanuage is easiest foreseeable added to the video medium.
slides is easiest to foresee for the image medium.
speaker is said to be video related.

Thus there is no strict rule that an attribute must be valid for many media.

You say that the "txp" attribute influences media negotiation when the draft
says that media-content attributes should not. I cannot see that it
influences media negotiation more than any other media-content attribute.
The "sl" ( Sign language ) attribute may lead to some terminals avoiding to
connect this medium because the user is not interested, while others can be
interested to define their terminals to always negotiate the "sl" video and
put it in a good viewing position.

Same with "alt". On a small terminal you may preset the terminal to not show
the stream with the "alt" media-content attribute.

Conclusion, "txp" is an attribute of similar type as most other
media-content attributes and suits well in the media-contents specification.
It just needs a further elaborated description in the draft. I will have a
try shortly to create that.

Gunnar

-
Gunnar Hellstrom, Omnitor