Re: [MMUSIC] ISSUE1: SDP Attributes Multiplexing - Payload Type Analysis

Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com> Tue, 01 July 2014 15:07 UTC

From: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 15:07:24 +0000
x-originating-ip: [160.79.219.114]
Cc: mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] ISSUE1: SDP Attributes Multiplexing - Payload Type Analysis

On Jun 30, 2014, at 7:26 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no<mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:

I agree with Bo's analysis concluding that IDENTICAL-PER-SSRC is likely not needed, and that situations where one has one SSRC in multiple media descriptions are probably a Bad Thing (I can't think of a case where it would represent anything but a bug).

The use case for it, I think, would be a scenario where a single RTP packet stream can satisfy the intended semantics of more than one media description.

My usual example is when I am in a conference, viewing both the current loudest speaker and also a specific person (say, my boss, or the customer).  I send two separate media descriptions requesting both those items.

During those times when that specific person is the loudest speaker, the server can save bandwidth by sending the single RTP packet stream carrying that person’s video only once.  It sends the same SSRC in both media descriptions to indicate that that packet stream is intended to be consumed by both of them.

Now, maybe we don’t want to support this use case, or maybe we want to support it in some way other than SDP-based signaling (as being too heavyweight for moving SSRCs around on the timescale of loudest-speaker timescale switching).  But we should make that decision explicitly.

IDENTICAL-PER-PT seems like a sensible thing to add.