Re: [MMUSIC] M-line philosophy (Re: Wisdom sought: Prioritization of codecs)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 22 November 2012 12:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:27:24 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Cc: "mmusic@ietf.org" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] M-line philosophy (Re: Wisdom sought: Prioritization of codecs)

On 11/20/2012 08:12 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> > The M-line is problematic because it binds together multiple things:
> >
> > - A set of parameters for media transmission *in all directions*
> (bound to payload type)
>
> [BA] RFC 3264 Section 5.1 makes it clear that the parameters need not
> apply in all directions (though sendrecv is the default):

agreed. What I find more problematic / irritating is that with
parameters that apply to both directions of a sendrecv stream, there's
no way to specify one set that applies A->B and another set that
applies  B->A.
With sendonly / recvonly streams, this is not an issue; with parameters
that apply only in one direction (such as crypto keys), it is also not
an issue. But for some parameters, it is an issue.