Re: [AVT] RE: [MMUSIC] questions about grouping media streams in RTP andSDP (RFC3388 etc), advice needed

Stephan Wenger <Stephan.Wenger@nokia.com> Fri, 08 June 2007 12:27 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <Stephan.Wenger@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: [AVT] RE: [MMUSIC] questions about grouping media streams in RTP andSDP (RFC3388 etc), advice needed
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:42:15 -0700
To: "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>
Cc: "Clinton Priddle (KI/EAB)" <clinton.priddle@ericsson.com>, mmusic <mmusic@ietf.org>, Thomas Schierl <schierl@hhi.fhg.de>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>

Hi all,
Yes, i agree with Roni: This is not a layered codec case in any
sense, as there is no directed use hierarchy between those two
flows.  Under certain conditions (i.e. in the absence of packet
loss), both are valid, usable streams.
But, IMHO, this may be not a bad example for multiple description
coding.  The two streams represent essentially the same media, and
(under certain conditions such as packet loss) it is advantageous to
use both of them, not only one.  It may not be a direct hit on the
Schierl draft MDC use case, but it's close enough to be documentable
in a 3GPP spec.
I'm not sure that the use case in question warrants a new I-D.  If
the analogy to video transmission would be a bit more solid, I would
have a different view.  But, a it stands, you could not use the
mechanism envisioned with any predictive video codec (possible
exception: H.264 extended profile, utilizing SI/SP technology), as it
is at present close to impossible to generate identical reference
pictures from two different streams, using different encoding methods.
Finally, I'm unsure whether 3GPP's intended timing would allow for
yet another draft.  Even the Schierl draft comes kind of late for
this work.
Regards,
Stephan