Re: [MMUSIC] New draft: multiple times problem description:draft-garcia-mmusic-multiple-ptimes-problem-00.txt

Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com> Wed, 30 May 2007 06:21 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:21:17 +0300
From: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.Garcia@nsn.com>
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] New draft: multiple times problem description:draft-garcia-mmusic-multiple-ptimes-problem-00.txt
Cc: 'mmusic' <mmusic@ietf.org>, "'Willekens, Marc'" <marc.willekens@nsn.com>

Hi Dan:

Thanks for the reaction. Some inline discussion.

Dan Wing wrote:
> Would a solution that meets REQ-10 and REQ-20 from
> draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-reqts also resolve the ptime
> problem?
>
>    REQ-10: It MUST be possible to indicate and negotiate alternative
>    media formats on a per media stream basis.

No, this isn't the problem we are trying to tackle, because this
requirement speaks about "alternative media formats" and speaks "on a
per media stream basis".

However, our problem is not about alternative media formats, but about
"specific parameters" and is not "on a per media stream basis" but "on a
per media format (or codec) basis".

>       For example, many implementations support multiple codecs, but
>       only one at a time.  Changes between codecs cannot be done on-
>       the-fly, e.g. when receiving a simple RTP payload type change.

Right... but this seems to be a different problem than the one we
describe in the draft.

>    REQ-20: It MUST be possible to indicate and negotiate alternative
>    attribute values ("a=") on a per media stream basis.

Again, the "on a per media stream basis" does not fulfill the
requirement of the draft. It should say "on a per media type basis".

>       For example, T.38 [T38] defines new attributes that may need to
>       be conveyed as part of a capability. Also, alternative SRTP
>       keying mechanisms (e.g. [SDES] and [KMGMT]) may use SDP
>       attributes to negotiate SRTP keying material.
>
> I noticed your document didn't reference
> draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-reqts, but I think there is an
> overlap of a requirement you have and the solution proposed in
> draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-05.txt.

At this stage, the goal of the draft is just to highlight the problem
and serve for deriving requirements, which we are doing in this thread.
I am not sure how to reference your requirements...

As for the solution, the solution is space is quite broad, ranging from
any of the proprietary solutions that have been specified elsewhere to
the SDP capability negotiation, to SDP grouping of media, or perhaps
others.

I would prefer that we don't derive the discussion to discuss a solution
until we agree that there is a problem to be solved.

BR,

       Miguel