Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00

Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com> Thu, 28 July 2005 15:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:11:48 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00
Cc: monami6@ietf.org
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Thierry Ernst wrote:
> I start a new thread since the other one "[Monami6] Fwd: I-D
> ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt" has diverged from the draft
> itself.
>
> I have some questions that may appear a little bit stupid, but it may
> help to clarify things:
>
> - why do you consider the Shim6 layer over the Mip6 layer?
> Couldn't the shim6 layer be cotemplated as an extension of the MIP6
> layer, I mean both of them sitting together, not one above the other ?

That would be a good topic to discuss at the monami6 BoF, wouldn't it :-)

> - for Shim, there is a need for a protocol to exchange the set of
> locators. Couldn't be MIP6 extensions used for such a task (I'm not
> contemplating MIP6 as the protocol for doing it, I'm rather thinking
> that given a node for a MIP6 protocol stack, it could be easier to
> deploy Shim6 for MIP6-enabled nodes than for non-MIP6 enabled nodes.

Likewise.

Let's get real. If monami6 is going to go anywhere then folks would at
least need to understand how MIP6 might interact with other pieces in
the multihoming landscape.

Which is why I find it mind boggling that we can't discuss how MIP6+mcoa
could relate to shim6.
Once we can move past that particular point, I can offer some technical
answers to your questions.

> Note, I also read  draft-ietf-shim6-l3shim-00.txt and:
>
> - Section 2: wouldn't be useful to define what a shim is ?

Hmm "shim" seems to be in rather common usage to describe thin
layers/sublayers that are inserted in the stack.

> - Section 4: [M6REFER]: reference not present in reference section. Must
> be a typo

Oops.

    Erik