Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Wed, 27 July 2005 16:59 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:58:06 +0200
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Thierry,

thanks for reading and commenting the draft

El 27/07/2005, a las 12:28, Thierry Ernst escribió:

> I start a new thread since the other one "[Monami6] Fwd: I-D
> ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt" has diverged from the draft
> itself.
> I have some questions that may appear a little bit stupid, but it may
> help to clarify things:

questions are always welcomed and there ain't such things as stupid
questions,

> - why do you consider the Shim6 layer over the Mip6 layer?

actually, in the initial discussions we cosnidered both SHIM over MIP
and also MIP over SHIM configurations, but we finally thought that
cosnidering all the possibilities would result in a major headache for
anyone who read the draft. So we decided to keep the configurations
that made a clear case and provide a clear benefit. In particular,
layering the SHIM over MIP results in the possibility of supporting
multiple Hoas

> Couldn't the shim6 layer be cotemplated as an extension of the MIP6
> layer, I mean both of them sitting together, not one above the other ?

i don't know...
I mean, i see them as modular items, and we played to see how the
interact without integrating them
I am afraid that integrating them would result in major modifications
in the SHIM and in the MIP modules.
So, the first approach was to see if layering one over the other would
result in useful outcomes

> - for Shim, there is a need for a protocol to exchange the set of
> locators. Couldn't be MIP6 extensions used for such a task (I'm not
> contemplating MIP6 as the protocol for doing it, I'm rather thinking
> that given a node for a MIP6 protocol stack, it could be easier to
> deploy Shim6 for MIP6-enabled nodes than for non-MIP6 enabled nodes.

i think that this would be possible, i.e. allowing coas to be included
in the locator set of SHIM. Actually this reminds me to the celp
proposal by D. Crocker a while ago.

I guess that we should consider security implications, depending on how
CoAs are validated...

This is one of the points where MIP SHIM interaction would need further
exploration i guess

> - on 050714 you said "the SHIM work currently does not
> considers the mobility scenario, so adding/removing addresses is still
> somehow undefined": does Shim6 consider that all the set of locators is
> known in advance ; can't new locators be added dynamically, or you just
> mean the operation for doing is undefined ?

well, the charter explicetly says that dynamic locators sets must be
supported, and imho there are security mechanisms that could deal with
this requirement.

So i would go for the second option, that the operation for doing it is
not yet completelly specified.

> - on 050714 you wrote "SHIM may be useful to  provide some of the
> features required to multihoming support in the MIP protocol": Could
> you
> detail what features you are thinking about ?

I think the the SHIM work can be useful in several aspects:
- the support of multiple HoAs could be provided using the SHIM support
in the CN without requiring additional mechanisms
- The failure detection mechanisms and the path exploration mechanisms
defined by the shim could be used (for HoAs and perhaps for CoAs)
- The ingress filtering mechanisms could be useful both in the Home
network and in the visited network
- The address selection mechanism (in particular retrial with
alternative source address) could also be useful to initiate
communications after outaages

IMHO all these mechanisms are worth to be explored and see if the match
with the requirements imposed by mip multihoming

> Note, I also read  draft-ietf-shim6-l3shim-00.txt and:
>
> - Section 2: wouldn't be useful to define what a shim is ?
> - Section 4: [M6REFER]: reference not present in reference section.
> Must
> be a typo

we will check these out, thanks, marcelo