Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Thu, 28 July 2005 19:45 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] More comments on draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:45:20 +0200
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Nicolas,

>> I guess that we should consider security implications, depending on
>> how CoAs are validated...
>>
>> This is one of the points where MIP SHIM interaction would need
>> further exploration i guess
>
> and where do you see the discussion and the investigation of this
> interaction?

i think that if we come to the conclusion that the shim can help for
MIP multihoming, then the work about shim-mip interaction should be
done in monami imho

>  I mean, if you think that this interaction should be done in Monami6,
> we should modify the current charter to explicitly state the point. I
> think this is what Thierry meant.
>

>>> - on 050714 you said "the SHIM work currently does not
>>> considers the mobility scenario, so adding/removing addresses is
>>> still
>>> somehow undefined": does Shim6 consider that all the set of locators
>>> is
>>> known in advance ; can't new locators be added dynamically, or you
>>> just
>>> mean the operation for doing is undefined ?
>>>

>> well, the charter explicetly says that dynamic locators sets must be
>> supported, and imho there are security mechanisms that could deal
>> with this requirement.
>>
>> So i would go for the second option, that the operation for doing it
>> is not yet completelly specified.
>
> This is where we may think that it may be too soon to deal with this
> at the BOF. As the specification is still under revision / discussion,
> it is hard to give an accurate evaluation of it, and it is even harder
> to make plan on what a potantial WG group (as Monami6) could bring to
> this.

imho, this is exactly why we need to discuss this now, so if we come
with additional requirements for the shim in order to provide a better
support for mobility, we can tell them to the shim guys, so it gets
done from the start.
As i mentioned already, imho a very important point that needs to
consider is deployment effort. If we get the shim to be be deployed
from the start with all the features required to support mip
multihoming, the deployment effort will be greatly simplified.

Regards, marcelo