[mpls] Martin Stiemerling's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path-04: (with DISCUSS)

"Martin Stiemerling" <mls.ietf@gmail.com> Tue, 05 January 2016 21:47 UTC

From: Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:47:06 -0800
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] Martin Stiemerling's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path-04: (with DISCUSS)

Martin Stiemerling has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path/

DISCUSS:

I am in favour of publishing this document, but I have two major points
that are not addressed in the document by now:

1) It is not clear for anybody what the expected size and sending
frequency of such MPLS-PLDM over IP/UDP responses are. This will
influence any measures an operator has to take in order to assure that
there is no congestion caused by these messages. I can understand that
this cannot be foreseen, but a few words considering this fact are
excellent to have in the document.

2) This leads to my second point: the lack of any reference to RFC 5405
"Unicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers" and the content
out of this RFC that is applicable for this draft. There is no discussion
about this at all. Please note well that this is BCP 145.

With regard to point 2): I can try to find some help from the transport
area, in case you need help.