Re: [mpls] Mixing ICC and Global-IDs in MPLS-TP Identifiers?

Maarten vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com> Wed, 04 May 2011 06:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 06:45:33 +0000
From: Maarten vissers <maarten.vissers@huawei.com>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Mixing ICC and Global-IDs in MPLS-TP Identifiers?

Loa,

The connections in the "Transport Service" layers can be multi-operator connections. Examples are the SDH Transport Service layer connections (VC-11/VT-1.5, VC-12/VT-2, VC-3/STS-1, VC-4/STS-3c, ..), ATM Transport Service layer connections (ATM VCs), OTN Transport Service layer connections (LO ODUs), Ethernet Transport Service layer connections (S-VLAN EC, BSI EC) and in MPLS-TP the MPLS-TP Transport Service layer connections (MS-PW, Service-LSP).

These Transport Service layer connections are monitored using pro-active OAM and on-demand OAM between the Service Provider MEG level MEP functions on the UNI-N ports and Service Provider MEG level MIP functions on the E-NNI/IrDI ports. In a multi-operator connection these Service Provider MEG level MEP functions on the UNI-N ports will be located in different operator domains. Also the Service Provider MEG level MIP functions on the E-NNI/IrDI ports will be located in different operator domains. If one operator deploys ICC and the other operator deploys Global-ID MPLS-TP identifiers, then you will have a mixed case.

We can ask the question if there is a need for an MPLS-TP E-NNI/IrDI.
If the answer is "no" then mixed identifier usage will not be a requirement.
If the application for MPLS-TP is within an MEF Ethernet Services architecture, then there is no need for an MPLS-TP E-NNI/IrDI; reason is that in the MEF architecture the E-NNI/IrDI is defined as an Ethernet E-NNI/IrDI and part of the Ethernet Transport Service layer.
- MPLS-TP Transport Service layer may not be present at all in such MEF Ethernet Services architecture, only the MPLS-TP Transport Path layer could be used (to carry PW-labelled Ethernet Connections) and those MPLS-TP Transport Path connections terminate in the operator domain's edge node (i.e. single operator connections).
- For the case a MPLS-TP Transport Service layer is used in an MEF Ethernet Services architecture the MPLS-TP Transport Service connections will be terminated  in the operator domain's edge node (i.e. single operator connections).

------

MPLS-TP Transport Path layer connections (transport-LSPs) are connecting a PE with an adjacent PE (via zero or more P nodes). Those transport-LSPs do not cross an E-NNI/IrDI.

There is however one exception... when a group of Transport Service layer connections has to be sent from one domain via a second domain to a third domain, this is typically done via a Transport Path layer connection with endpoints in the E-NNI/IrDI ports of domain 1 and 3. Domain treats this domain 1-3 transport path layer connection as a transport service layer connection. E-NNI/IrDI ports in domain 1 and 3 may use different identifiers (ICC, Global-ID) and a mixed case is present. If domains 1 and 3 use the same identifier type, then domain 2 may be using a different identifier type in the MIPs on its E-NNI/IrDI ports.

------

MPLS-TP Section layer connections are connecting adjacent MPLS-TP nodes. In 99.9% of the cases those nodes are in one operator domain. For the case of an MPLS-TP E-NNI/IrDI the two nodes are in different operator domains. If one operator deploys ICC and the other operator deploys Global-ID based MPLS-TP identifiers there is a mixed case.

Regards,
Maarten