Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Wed, 17 February 2021 06:54 UTC

To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:53:07 +0800
Subject: Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin,

Tnx for review and suggestions.

Response to the Discuss. I'm a bit embarrassed over table 22, I don't
what happened.

On 17/02/2021 12:40, Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker wrote:
> Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: Discuss
>
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to
> all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to
> cut this introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html for more
> information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update/

DISCUSS:

>  A few super-boring inconsistencies that make the document unfit to
> publish as-is but should be mostly trivial to resolve ((3) and (4)
> might be a little tedious but should be mechanical):
>
> (1) Section 3.3.1 says:
>
> be silently dropped if not recognized.  The code points for
> experimental use are taken from the ranges previously called 'Vendor
> Private Use', the remainder of which now form part of 'RFC
> Required'.
>
> but I don't think this sentence matches what's proposed in Section 6.
> I am seeing the code points for experimental use coming out of the
> range that is currently described as "specification required", with
> the entirety of the range currently described as "vendor private use"
> being converted to FCFS.

Yes you are right, this was a late change because taking the
"Experimental Use" code point from "RFC Required" made sure that we did
not have any collisions with code points in use.

Would the following be OK?

NEW
      be silently dropped if not recognized.  The code points for
      experimental use are taken from the ranges previously (RFC
      8029) called 'Specification Required' and (RFC 8611) "RFC
      Required".

> (2) Section 4.1 says:
>
> Mandatory and optional are used to indicate whether a response is
> needed if a TLV or sub-TLV is not understood on pages 14 and 15 in
> Section 3 of RFC 8029.
>
> but I think the text being modified is on pages 15 and 16 of RFC
> 8029 (the page numbers are in the footer, not the header, of the
> plain text output format).

My mistake, will change  to:

NEW:
      Mandatory and optional are used to indicate whether a response is
      needed if a TLV or sub-TLV is not understood on pages 15 and 16 in
      Section 3 of RFC 8029.

> (3) Section 6.2.3 describes changes to the procedures for the
> Sub-TLVs for TLV 6 sub-registry, but the changes described assume
> that the registration procedures are as described by RFC 8029.
> However, the registration procedures have already been changed by RFC
> 8611, so the changes described no longer make sense.  (E.g., there is
> not currently a "specification required" procedure active for any
> range of this sub-registry.)  We do, however, still need to make some
> changes to the registration procedures, specifically to convert the
> "Private Use" ranges to FCFS and carve out the "Experimental Use"
> blocks.

If I read this correctly the one thing we need to do is to remove one
bullet:

    o  The "Specification Required" registration procedure has been
       changed to "RFC Required", the comment "Experimental RFC Required"
       has been removed.

> (4) Table 22 (for Sub-TLVs for TLV 27 Assignments) seems to be a copy
> of Table 20 and does not reflect the current state of the
> sub-registry in question.

Table 22 should look like this:

NEW

    +-------------+---------------+-----------------+-------------------+
    | Type        | TLV Name      | Reference       | Comment           |
    +-------------+---------------+-----------------+-------------------+
    | 0           | Reserved      | [RFC7555]       |                   |
    | 1-99        | Unassigned    | EQ              | EQ                |
    | 100-104     | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
    | 105-199     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
    | 200-202     | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
    | 203-299     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
    | 300         | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
    | 301-399     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
    | 400         | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
    | 401-31739   | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
    | 31740-31743 | Experimental  | This Document   | Reserved, not to  |
    |             | Use           |                 | be assigned. This |
    |             |               |                 | range is for sub- |
    |             |               |                 | TLVs that require |
    |             |               |                 | an error message  |
    |             |               |                 | if not            |
    |             |               |                 | recognized. [This |
    |             |               |                 | document, section |
    |             |               |                 | 3.1]              |
    | 31744-64507 | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
    | 64508-64511 | Experimental  | This document   | Reserved, not to  |
    |             | Use           |                 | be assigned       |
    | 64512-65535 | Unassigned    |                 |                   |

                  Table 22: Sub-TLVs for TLV 27 Assignments

If you can ack today I will update before the IESG meeting. I will also
according to the nits.

Thanks for a good review and the support in "Comment".

/Loa

COMMENT: