[mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp was RE: gre-in-udp draft (was: RE: [tsvwg] Milestones changed for tsvwg WG)

<l.wood@surrey.ac.uk> Thu, 09 January 2014 03:00 UTC

From: l.wood@surrey.ac.uk
To: david.black@emc.com, gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 02:59:28 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, mpls@ietf.org, jnc@mit.edu, lisp@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp was RE: gre-in-udp draft (was: RE: [tsvwg] Milestones changed for tsvwg WG)

Thanks, David.

Apart from the pollute-other-ports aspect that I've discussed in
other mails, MPLS itself is not self-checking (GRE is for header and
payload -  if its optional checksum is used.) Without checking,  corrupt
the MPLS label, send it to another tunnel. Without checking, corrupt the
UDP port, send the packet elsewhere and pollute another port and stream.

I see L. Yong and X. Xu, who are coauthors of
draft-yong-tsvwg-gre-in-udp-encap,
are also authors of
draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp
which again plays fast and loose with UDP checksums.

This is clearly a widespread problem, and the reliability of the internet is
being undermined.

We can class UDP zero checksum use as an attacks on other streams and
services, if that helps. Reliability is an unfashionable topic, but an attack?
That must be mitigated immediately.

Because they specify zero UDP checksums,
I oppose publication of draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp in its current form
I oppose tsvwg adoption of draft-yong-tsvwg-gre-in-udp-encap in its current form.
I oppose the IETF lisp documents.

regards
Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood