Re: [mpls] Poll for WG adoption for draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry-02

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Fri, 17 May 2013 07:38 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 07:37:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.96.176]
Cc: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry@tools.ietf.org" <draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry@tools.ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Poll for WG adoption for draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry-02

Andy,

With this "Common sub-TLVs" structure and registry, as Tom said, for the IANA registry, we don't have to explicitly list which sub-TLVs apply to which TLVs, we could just only list which RFCs (as the reference) defines the sub-TLVs. As for which TLVs could carry the sub-TLVs, this is left for the relevant RFCs to define.

Specific to the issue that TLV 21 faced, your solution is an alternative, and we actually had thought about it. The side effect is that it will make the allocation more complicated and does not completely solve the issue.

Think about if there is a TLV that needs to reuse/inherit sub-TLVs of more than one TLVs; or two or more TLVs want to reuse/inherit sub-TLVs each other..., this will make the allocation more and more complicated.

Best regards,
Mach