Re: [mpls] working group last call fordraft-ietf-mpls-number-0-bw-te-lsps

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 24 September 2007 10:08 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>, mpls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] working group last call fordraft-ietf-mpls-number-0-bw-te-lsps
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:08:21 +0100
Cc: Ross Callon <rcallon@juniper.net>, David Ward <dward@cisco.com>

Hi Loa,
Is this really the version that is ready for last call?

The Abstract begins with
"** UPDATE OSPFv3 **"
Neither the Abstract not the Introduction mentions OSPFv3.
There are some references in the document, but section 3.2 has a textual
reference to "draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-traffic-07.txt" rather than a citation.
===
Abstract
s/assumption on/assumptions about/
s/carried onto/carried by/
s/referred to as unconstrained TE LSP/referred to as unconstrained TE LSPs/
s/unconstrained TE LSP across/unconstrained TE LSPs across/
s/This requires the knowledge/This requires knowledge/
===
Abstract and Introduction
These sections are the only place where it is mentioned that assumptions
have to be made about the traffic carried on the zero bandwidth LSPs. Do
these assumptions form part of the algorithms "that can be designed" or are
they assumptions that can be described?
What would be the consequence of different devices in the network making
different assumptions? Indeed, what would be the consequence of different
routers using different algorithms? Can we sure that two algorithms from
different vendors will not interact unfavorably within the network?
===
Section 2
s/(TE LSP/(TE LSPs/
s/such unconstrained TE LSP/such unconstrained TE LSPs/
s/assumption on/assumptions about/
s/carried onto/carried by/
s/signalled across a link./signalled across each link./
s/outside of the scope/outside the scope/
s/and merely listed/and is referred to/
===
Section 2
Need to be expand acronyms on first use
LSR, SRLG, IGP
===
Section 2
  "TE LSPs signalled with zero bandwidth that are configured and
   provisioned through a management system are not included in the count
   that is reported."
I think "signalled" may be wrong here.
We probably mean
  "Unconstrained TE LSPs that are configured and
   provisioned through a management system are not included in the count
   that is reported."
===
Section 2
Suggest to delete
  "As currently defined in [RFC3630] and [RFC3784] the
   information related to the number of unconstrained TE LSP(s) is not
   available."
===
Section 2
  "Furthermore, the knowledge of the number of unconstrained TE LSPs
   signalled across each link can be used for other purposes (for
   example to evaluate the number of affected TE LSPs in case of a link
   failure)."
Wouldn't this function be better if we knew the actual number of TE LSPs on
a link rather than only the number of zero bandwidth TE LSPs? Since we don't
propose an extension that simply counts the number of TE LSPs, perhaps it
would be simpler to delete this paragraph.
===
Section 3
The name of the new sub-TLV is clunky with its "(s)" suffix and its compound
noun construction. Viz. "The Number of 0-bandwidth TE LSP(s) Sub-TLV"
Can we change its name to something like the "Unconstrained TE LSP Count
Sub-TLV"?
===
Section 3.1
The use of RFC2119 language may be taken as contradictory.
  "The Number of 0-bandwidth TE LSP(s) sub-TLV is OPTIONAL and MUST
   appear at most once within the extended IS reachability TLV (type 22)
   specified in [RFC3784]."
Suggest...
  "The Number of 0-bandwidth TE LSP(s) sub-TLV is OPTIONAL and MUST
   NOT appear more than once within the extended IS reachability TLV (type
22)
   specified in [RFC3784]."
===
Section 3.2
ditto section 3.1
===
Section 4
"An implementation MAY decide to implement"
We should add...
  "In any case, the origination of Traffic
   Engineering LSAs SHOULD be rate-limited to at most one every
   MinLSInterval [RFC2328]."
And a similar reference for ISIS.
===
Section 4
I think that some description of how to handle the absence of a Number of
0-bandwidth TE LSP(s) sub-TLV is required. Is this to be taken as implying
that there are no unconstrained TE LSPs on the link, or that there is no
information about the link. In the latter case, is there any guidance to be
given?
===
Section 5
The instructions to IANA need to give more references. Which registries?
Which sub-registries?
===
Section 6
In the current climate, I would be very surprised if we got away with this
text.
At the least, the text needs to support the assertion that there are no new
security issues.
Is it possible that the IGP can be attacked by setting up and tearing down
zero bandwidth TE LSPs?
===
Section 6
Is finger really the right protocol to reference for ISIS security?
===

Cheers,
Adrian