Re: [mpls] Solicit Opinions on Definition of MPLS Global Label

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Thu, 05 November 2015 14:46 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Lizhenbin <lizhenbin@huawei.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:45:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Solicit Opinions on Definition of MPLS Global Label

Robin,

1)      SPRING/SR does NOT need global/domain wide label. In other words, the use of MPLS Global Label is NOT REQUIRED for SR/SPRING.

This is a fact.
It should be clear from the spec. Otherwise, running a single test with node having different SRGBs is enough to prove that fact.
Let’s acknowledge this fact and move on.

2)      SR/SPRING uses a set of _local_ labels called SRGB.
In SR, _if_ a set “X” of nodes are configured with the same SRGB, then you end up using the same local value on this set of nodes. X may be a POP, a vendor, a type of router hardware, a domain…
Probably, this is not specific to SR and the same could be said about statically configured labels (pushed by a SDN controller if you like) or LDP labels (where a policy could be configured to instruct LDP to use specific label. Indeed LDP is a Label _Distribution_ Protocol. Label allocation is out of scope of the LDP protocol.

More inline regarding your specific questions on draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-extensions-05 (which you should ask in the relevant WG rather than in the MPLS WG)

Bruno