Re: [mpowr] Experiment design

John C Klensin <john@jck.com> Tue, 13 January 2004 14:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:34:00 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john@jck.com>
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
cc: mpowr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpowr] Experiment design
Sender: mpowr-admin@ietf.org

Harald,

--On Friday, 09 January, 2004 15:25 -0800 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:

> When I think of running an experiment, I think of something
> like:
>
> - Define the ruleset we want to test
> - Declare that from March 1(?), in all WGs with the first
> letter from A to K, the new ruleset applies; in WGs from L to
> Z, the old rule of IESG decision applies.
> - At the end of 3 (or 6) months, the WG chairs get asked:
>   - Did you remove anyone from the list?
>   - Was there a time when you wanted to remove a person from
> the
>     list, but did not?
>   - Was there a time when you removed someone from the list,
> and
>     afterwards decided that you made the wrong decision?
>
> That should give us some real data - or some real data saying
> that this isn't a problem......

I'd add two things to your list, which I consider fairly
important:

	(1) A request to the WG participants for input on
	whether they feel happier or unhappier with the changes
	in place, with "happier" specifically focused on "feel
	that the WG is more effective", "feel that it is easier
	to contribute", "feel that the S/N ratio in the WG's
	discussions is better", etc., and "unhappier" including
	the opposite of these.   We shouldn't just be asking the
	Chairs about impacts.

	(2) A mechanism for early discontinuance of the
	"experiment" if there are severe and obvious
	consequences.  While I personally think that is
	unlikely, if the process led to a lot of appeals with
	which the IESG agreed, it would be time to immediately
	stop, and either give it up or readjust the rules in
	some fashion.

Using the mailing list management situation as an example, I
would consider "fewer disruptions than before and an improved
S/N ratio" to make the procedural change a wild success.   But
it would give zero data under your proposal and, indeed, under
that proposal as written, might convince people that there was
no problem, since no one was removed nor was there the strong
temptation to remove anyone.  Similarly, I would consider
"warned someone in private and they decided to behave, where
previous warnings had been unheeded" to be a sign of huge
success, and your list of questions is unlikely to capture that
one either.

        john

<tirade>
p.s. To anyone inclined to raise the "it isn't really an
experiment, since there is no design control group and no
placebo" argument, please give it a rest.  I am _not_ singling
anyone out here -- that comment is made by someone, usually
someone different, every time someone uses the word "experiment"
around the IETF.  Virtually any experiment (e.g., a change in
the rules with a monitored and evaluated outcome) on a
social/behavioral system requires working with the subjective
evaluations of participants and/or observers as to what
happened.  If you exclude anything that is not subject to a
carefully managed cross-plot or split-plot design, or even
everything on which no exogeneous variates can unexpectedly
occur in the system, then there are no experiments except in
agriculture, and fewer of those than is generally believed.  In
more careful designs than I am suggesting above (because I don't
think the design and implementation time is justified), there
are sometimes-complex techniques to lay a basis for comparing
pre- and post-test opinions but they still don't involve design
control groups or placebo controls.  The latter, in their purest
form, are applicable only if _all_ variation not measured by the
experiment can be excluded and that is, in practice, nearly
impossible (double-blind placebo-based tests are just intended
to minimize the most obvious causes).

If you need some really good examples from the "experimental"
literature, read some of the papers evaluating treatments the
claim to reduce perceived pain levels.  Then, for a change in
pace, read Wittgenstein's discussions on how someone accurately
communicates levels of pain to someone else.

I try to discourage my statistician colleagues who are not
trained in network design from doing their own networks, and
believe that this community should return the favor.
</tirade>