Re: [Mtgvenue] testing draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process against the venue change that just occurred

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Tue, 18 July 2017 09:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 05:45:47 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Cc: "mtgvenue@ietf.org" <mtgvenue@ietf.org>, IAOC <iaoc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Mtgvenue] testing draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process against the venue change that just occurred

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:37:36AM +0200, Eliot Lear wrote:

> >    o  Travel barriers to entry, including visa requirements, are
> >       unlikely to impede attendance by an overwhelming majority of
> >       participants.
>

> This wording seems to fail the "document running code" test, because it
> is unlikely that the overwhelming majority of people would have problems
> getting to San Francisco.

I agree.

> However, it seems likely that a significant
> number of people would, and that seems to me what we meant in the first
> place.  To avoid arguments over what "significant" means, I propose to
> change the text to the following:
>
> o Travel barriers to entry, including visa requirements, are unlikely to
> impede attendance by more than 5% of expected participants.

I like the 5% (or some other number) being in the criterion.  I feel
uncomfortable with "significant" because my inner social science nerd
immediately wants to start looking for 2 standard deviations, and I
think that would create a shifting window over time related to
changing immigration policies around the world.  Of course, if it
turns out that 5% of potential expected participants are always
excluded in some possible future world where immigration restriction
becomes the norm, that might mean we can never meet.

For this case, are we reasonably sure that it would have been 60ish
people?  If not, that appears to tell us that 5% is the wrong value
(unless we think it is an indication the IAOC is making a mistake, and
I don't get the impression that we collectively feel that way but I'm
not in a position to declare consensus).

> It seems to me that this did indeed function as appropriate.

I agree.

This is a nice test, by the way, and I'm glad we have the opportunity
to try this.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com