Re: [multimob] Fast Handover Solutions + Closing Multimob

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de> Thu, 15 November 2012 19:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:10:57 +0100
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
To: cjbc@it.uc3m.es
Cc: "multimob@ietf.org" <multimob@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [multimob] Fast Handover Solutions + Closing Multimob

Hi Carlos,

just a short answer: Chairs asked me in personal communication to send
these requirements.

For the rest:

We have had lengthy discussions over months on all the subjects, on-list
and off-list, mentioning all types of pro's and con's. I don't want to
repeat this.

We finally agreed (with chairs) off-list to adopt both drafts as
experimental ... but then some people behaved differently from what they
had said earlier.

My view on the general situation is that there are two kinds of
reasonable work for Multimob

  (i) Basic enabling of PMIP multicast
  (ii) Convincing coverage of the solution space in relevant scenarios

(i) will be done by Multimob with the Base + MLD RFCs and the source
solution.

Ad (ii), my impression is that Multimob is not really doing a decent
job. In fact, I have severe doubts that any of the work on track will be
of any value to anyone.

So I believe we should start thinking about closing Multimob.

Cheers,

Thomas

--

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °