Re: [multimob] PMIPv6 extension for multicast

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de> Sun, 24 July 2011 16:24 UTC

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:24:42 -0400
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
To: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] PMIPv6 extension for multicast

Hi Hitoshi, hi all,

we worked through your revised draft and have the following feedback:

For the general, the draft seems to rephrase operations of GRE
tunneling, PIM and MLD in your own words which leaves unclear, what
actually is the standard protocol behavior (defined elsewhere), and what
is particular for your proposal. Understanding is also hindered by
observations that are correct, but unrelated to the specific subject,
and also statements that are incorrect.

In detail, we extracted the following contributions:

   1.) Your proposal only addresses SSM (without ever mentioning this)
   2.) You span a full mesh of M-tunnels between all MAGs and all LMAs
(in addition to PMIP tunnels)
   3.) You deploy PIM-SSM on all MAGs and all LMAs

Since this scenario experiences the routing convergence problem
described in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5757#section-2.2.2 (which you
should reference, btw.), you define

   4.) Some additional smoothing procedures for handover

Did we understand this correctly?

Our comments on this:

Ad 1.): It is legitimate to define solutions solely for SSM, but this
should be mentioned right away (in title and abstract).

Ad 2.): A mesh of permanent tunnels appears pretty ugly. In a large PMIP
deployment, you will end up with hundreds to thousands of
multicast-induced tunnels at a single LMA. This raises severe scaling &
complexity issues, but most likely will be unfeasible for cross-domain
PMIP deployments. As these tunnels are static and beyond the control of
the PMIP prefix management, there may be issues arising for unicast
routing, as well.

Ad 3.): PIM-SSM should transparently work on such a dense router mesh.
However, multicast routes (selected from RPF) may not turn out to be as
described in your draft. After an MN joins (S,G), its MAG selects the
upstream according to the unicast route to S. What will this be? Most
likely, S is completely "unrelated" to the MN and to its LMA, so the
route to S may go wherever the (unicast) routing table of the local MAG
points to. In many cases this will be default.

In addition, once MN1 has established service of (S,G) at a MAG, a newly
arriving MN2 will inherit this service (which is efficient). Now, if MN1
detaches, MN2 will continue to be served on the same route as MN1 did.
In the (unlikely) case that MN1 had been subscribed to a "home service"
(via its LMA, as suggested in your draft), MN2 continues to consume the
"home service" of MN1, even though MN1 is gone.

This leads to a picture which is complicated, disadvantageous in
policy-based conditions (btw. conflicts with your policy-store solution)
and contradicts the PMIP service model.

As an intermediate summary: If we understood correctly, up until this
point you have defined only a deployment scenario, but no new protocol
operations or semantic. So this could simply be activated based on the
protocols available today ... but may lead to a quite unexpected outcome ;)

Ad 4.): The scenario so far adapts to mobility via the PIM-SSM routing
dynamics, which may be too slow for smooth handoffs. That's why you
define three protocol extensions for smoothing the handover process for
multicast (isolated from unicast handover management).

Comments on this:

  * Policy Profile: Your policy is acquired from LMA (after a regular
PMIP handover). This is actually the long path & slow procedure, so I
don't expect much acceleration here ... in particular, you cannot be
faster than unicast (slow) handover. Also: this policy management
conflicts with the routing scenario mentioned above.

  * Extended Proxy Binding Update: This I actually cannot understand.
You inform the nMAG of multicast subscriptions prior to handover ... so
you do a predictive handover, but you don't define any prediction
mechanism. I cannot see how this works ...

  * CXTP: This context transfer is de-synchronized from the unicast
handover, which does not really help in handover acceleration (cannot be
faster than unicast, complicates a synchronization later ...).

CXTP handover may be interesting in the cases discussed after Prague (a
new broadcast access link is selected solely for multicast reception
...). We believe its not the most suitable approach here.

So far for the feedback - did we miss(s/s/ -understand) something?

Best regards,

Thomas & Matthias