Re: [multimob] PMIPv6 extension for multicast

Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Tue, 19 July 2011 02:03 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:03:13 +0900
To: multimob@ietf.org
From: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Subject: Re: [multimob] PMIPv6 extension for multicast

Hi folks,

> We revised our PMIPv6 extension draft as follows:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-asaeda-multimob-pmip6-extension-06
>
> This draft specifies the scenario in which both LMA and MAG act as
> PIM-SM routers. This draft addresses the tunnel convergence problem
> and provides seamless handover. It defines Proxy Binding Update and
> Proxy Binding Acknowledgement messages with multicast extension.

I'd like to summarize the points this document focuses on.

This document addresses the tunnel convergence problem by an RPF
lookup algorithm. Although the approach is straightforward, this
condition assumes both MAG and LMA act as PIM-SM routers.
In addition, only enabling PIM-SM on MAG and LMA does not provide
mobility. Therefore this document also provides handover mechanisms by
adopting the standard PBU/PBA messages with multicast extension or
using Policy Store maintaining subscribing multicast channel list.

Note that, to simplyfy the protocol extension, this document does not
provide any "fast" handover mechanism, such as link-layer specific
mechanisms (e.g. scan in WLAN), prediction for movement, data
pre-forwarding, and so on.
The proposed mechanism aims to be flexible and general; it could
cooperate with other fast handover mechanism. As one of the examples,
this document refers the idea of CXTP with multicast extension (*1)
and illustrates the scenario to cooperate with it.
(*1) draft-vonhugo-multimob-cxtp-extension-00.txt

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda