Re: [dnsext] SRV prefix registry

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Mon, 02 January 2012 23:50 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1325548236; bh=dWdKGCexE5iYwh4K1r8yvA4+OhQAbw9RKE6fB1pugW4=; h=MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:References:Date:Message-ID:From:To:Cc: Subject:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Type:Sender; b=j6AZWsNphRXbgkBY7/z+EU5rIZnzlX+tdAitC+5wqjFfY7Oa3SI3acGVz7gpAu6l8 NbTuw2KmGvbxEMX5ZH+P5EjM93flWgx/vYtTwOUujIEEBO4tkh8+FtYExWTChCaLU4 xQlmLC4CXy/ponwABEsTUU6ozOPnodOJsjTsvbgs=
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:50:33 -0500
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Cc: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>, dnsext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dnsext] SRV prefix registry
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

Looks to me as if 6335 addresses all my concerns. The exact set of
procedures really does not matter to me in the slightest, just so long as
there is a defined registry the procedures will adapt as needed.

On reserving other prefixes, all that matters is that the same name does
not get registered for more than one purpose. That argues for a single
registry of prefixes.

I don't care what the rationale, anyone who tries to deploy a new protocol
that is not SPF with the prefix _spf is going to end up causing unnecessary
pain, misery and gnashing of teeth. Chances are that at some point in the
future there will be some prefix based protocol that all 'prefixish' type
schemes would want to use. So the SPF group would likely be rather upset to
find that their ability to participate in some generalized prefix mechanism
had been pre-empted by an unrelated protocol squatting on 'their' prefix.

The assignment criteria is 'expert review'. These are precisely the type of
issue that I would hope the expert would be flagging as problems. If the
name is not available for registration the registry should say so, that is
the purpose of the registry.

I would suggest registering the Transport Protocol 'Other' to cover these
cases and getting the service names reserved. This would appear to be
within the scope of the 'grandfathering' process that IANA and Stuart
Cheshire are already engaged in to transfer his registry over.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/