Re: [nbs] [Int-area] New draft related to name-based sockets

Pete McCann <mccap@petoni.org> Thu, 09 December 2010 19:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:06:18 -0600
From: Pete McCann <mccap@petoni.org>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Cc: "int-area@ietf.org" <int-area@ietf.org>, "nbs@ietf.org" <nbs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nbs] [Int-area] New draft related to name-based sockets

Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the issue list and the pointers to drafts.

I agree that backwards compatibility is an issue, if we are blindly
opening connections to previously unknown peers.  However, in
the pickle packet framework, opening a connection would always
be preceded by a DNS lookup for the TXT record at
_pickle.host.example.com which, if present, would be an indication
that the peer supports the new extensions.  So, I think there is
little danger of running into the issues you cite.

You might say that this is equivalent to defining a new transport,
but I think it's important to keep the protocol number 6 because
that is what today's middleboxes will pass.

-Pete