Re: [nemo] RE: RO between MR and CN

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Mon, 18 October 2004 18:06 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [nemo] RE: RO between MR and CN
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:21:36 +0200
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Cc: nemo@ietf.org, María Calderón <maria@it.uc3m.es>, Masafumi Watari <watari@sfc.wide.ad.jp>, Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>
Sender: nemo-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Pascal,

sorry for the delay, but as you may notice, the 18th has arrived :-)

As a co-author of the paper, let me give you p.o.v. of this issue.

El 15/10/2004, a las 9:15, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) escribió:

> Hi Carlos:
>
> I need to give you my review on MIRON.
>
> Note that your text is being unfair with RRH about the security
> issues. Security is debated in the draft, if you care to read that
> part.

The content of the paper is the result of the analysis of the different
proposals. Yes, we have read the RRH draft and its security
considerations section. In particular, we have read the part that
states:

   "This section is not complete; further work is needed to analyze and
    solve the security problems of record and source route."

Pay particular attention to the "solve" part.

This seems perfectly coherent with the comment presented in the paper
stating that:

"It  has been identified that this approach [RRH] has security
concerns."

Note that we only say concerns while in the draft it is stated
"problems"

> There have been a number of drafts that tried to propose more secure
> solutions based on misunderstanding of what the threats might be. They
> all died. Then there was Fan's very good study, (Fan, we need the
> update), but still, most of the issues were moot.
>
> The point is that to date, there is no specific attack against RRH
> that was identified to make any good sense, compared to, say, scramble
> the radio wave or anything else a MITM might do. You understand that
> propagating ideas like 'there are security issues' without being
> specific is prejudicial...

IMHO the paper propagates less this kind of ideas that the draft
itself. As i mentioned, it is the draft that states that the RRH has
"security problems" that need to be solved.

I guess that if you do not want to propagate this type of ideas, i
would suggest you to remove this type of statements from the draft.

>  For instance, you might want to take a specific attack and show how
> MIRON handles it better or something.

As you may notice, the MIRON paper is not about RRH security but about
the MIRON proposal (moreover is not even about MIRON security), and
considering the length restrictions on a paper, i guess that it isn't
possible to include examples about all the statements provided.

Regards, marcelo

PS: I would like to apologize to the list about this mail, since it is
clearly out of scope for the list. I won't sent any other mails about
this specific issue. OTOH, i will be sending a constructive mail
containing some security analysis about RRH, hoping to contribute with
that effort

> Pascal

Please note that my former email address
mbagnulo@ing.uc3m.es is no longer in use
Please send mail to:
marcelo at it dot uc3m dot es