Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-05.txt

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Mon, 05 March 2018 15:51 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, netconf@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 16:50:51 +0100
Subject: Re: [Netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-rfc7895bis-05.txt

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 15:22 +0000, Robert Wilton wrote:
> Hi Lada,
>
> I think that this is just the server providing erroneous data (i.e.
> option 1 below), and as such I think that a client is at liberty to do
> whatever it deems most appropriate.  E.g. I suspect that I would code a
> client to do (2).

Whereas the server implementor may go for (3), which results in possible
interoperability problems.

> Note, that the deviation leaf-list is a leafref back to the module
> list.  Hence, for the YANG instance data to be valid, any entries in the
> deviation list must be included in the modules list.

Hmm, even this is actually not true - the type should have

  require-instance true;

right?

But anyway, my point is the opposite direction - a deviation module is in the
"module" list but not in the "deviation" leaf-list.

> In theory, a server could populate the module list with deviations but
> not the deviation leaf-list.  However, there is no indication in the
> module description that this is a valid thing to do, or that this

But neither is there any indication that it is an invalid thing to do. Having
the deviation modules only in the "module" list would be perfectly sufficient.

> information is optional.  Stating that this specific information is
> mandatory might then imply that some of the other data in YANG library
> is optional, when it isn't.
>
> In short, having looked at it again, I'm still of the opinion that the
> current text is sufficient.
>
> Do you still think that we need to clarify this further?

If "module" and "deviation" are required to match, the document should say so.

Lada