Re: [netext] Discussion about "Retransmit Message Identifier Option"//Re: Agenda Requests received

Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com> Thu, 16 July 2009 02:10 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:10:23 +0800
From: Xiangsong Cui <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>
To: Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>
Cc: netext@ietf.org, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [netext] Discussion about "Retransmit Message Identifier Option"//Re: Agenda Requests received

Hi Sri,
Please see inline.

Thanks and regards

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sri Gundavelli" <sgundave@cisco.com>
To: "Xiangsong Cui" <Xiangsong.Cui@huawei.com>
Cc: <netext@ietf.org>; <Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [netext] Discussion about "Retransmit Message Identifier
Option"//Re: Agenda Requests received

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Xiangsong Cui wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree it is a very simple tag.
>> I just don't understand what benefit we can get from the extension.
>> That's all my question.
>>

> So, you are saying, LMA has no need to identify retransmitted packets ?
I think LMA need identify the packets, but need not care the intention.
Maybe it is the retransmitted message, maybe a new one, what is the
difference for LMA?

> When a new message arrives, drop the existing one and process the
> new message.
Maybe drop the existing one, or maybe process both messages (I think
latter is the right way in RFCs) and responds two binding Ack message.

> The sender receives reply for the older message and it
> should drop and send a new request ?
Yes, sender will receive reply message, maybe one or two response.
If sender send two request, one is for binding and the other one is for
retransmission, I think there is only one timer and only one timer for
retransmission in the sender. If the sender receives reply message, it
has achieved the registration and it must kill the timer, and will not
retransmit request any more.
This is the key point, Do you agree it?
If the timer has been killed, I don't know why the sender will send a
new request.

> In this scenario is it not better
> for the sender and receiver to have an understanding of what is being
> processed and what is the new message for and its relation to the
> older message ?
I am not sure which one is better.