Re: [nfsv4] rough consensus and the read sparse I-D RE: nfsv4.x

"David Harrington" <ietfdbh@comcast.net> Wed, 29 September 2010 23:19 UTC

From: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
To: david.noveck@emc.com, sshepler@microsoft.com, nfsv4@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:18:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] rough consensus and the read sparse I-D RE: nfsv4.x

Hi,

It is my understanding that the chairs are authorized to oversee the
process, including how consensus will be determined. They are overseen
by me and the rest of the IESG to make sure their approach is
reasonable. The IETF way is to invest significant authority in the WG
chair position, because the rough consensus of the IETF is that this
is the best way to ensure progress on our technical standards, without
being hamstrung by lots of procedural debates (as many other SDOs can
be).

Spencer is not the only chair. Brian is also a chair, and they confer
with one another. I am quite sure that if Brian objected to how
Spencer was determing consensus, he would speak up. And I am obviously
watching the list to see what is happening as well, and I am
conferring with Lars on a weekly basis about any concerns I have, and
Lars and I confer with the IESG about any concerns we have. So there
are people watching to make sure no one person gets too much
authority, or deliberately or intentially misuses the authority they
have been delegated.

I don't feel like getting into a fully documented legal argument with
you about the process rules right now. I have never had any desire to
be a lawyer. If you believe my understandoing is wrong, then feel free
to appeal the chair's decision about how to determine consensus.
Personally I think that would be a tremendous waste of everybody's
time, and would greatly delay the progress of the NFS standards, but
it's your right to appeal if you want.

If you want to worry about such things, feel free. Here's a problem
for you mull over ... if the WG were charged with deciding how
consensus should be decided, and the WG could not achieve consensus on
how to determine consensus, how would the WG make progress? Please
mullt this over yourself; you don't need to include me in your
mulling, because I'm not worried about this. And you are free to
appeal that advice from me if you want.

If you really LIKE procedural debates, come see me at ietf79. I'll
recommend some SDOs where you'll fit right in!

I don't mean to seem flippant, or to seem as if I don't care about
your concerns. I do. A great deal. Which is why I watch to make sure
the chairs are doing their jobs correctly. But, based on my
understanding, they have not in any way misused their authority, and I
have no cause for worry. I think there are higher priority things -
things that are important right now - that I should spend my time on
than this procedural debate.

David Harrington
Director, IETF Transport Area
ietfdbh@comcast.net (preferred for ietf)