Re: A plea for stability

Chris Adie <cja@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk> Mon, 29 March 1993 11:32 UTC

To: NIR@mailbase.ac.uk
Subject: Re: A plea for stability
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Chris Adie <cja@castle.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 12:13:23 -0000

Clifford Neuman <bcn@edu.isi> writes (presumably in response to the
creation of the mmis list):

> I get the feeling that the first real test of a resource discovery
> system might be to find the right mailing list on the topic.  There
> are TOO MANY.  It seems that a new one springs up about every two
> weeks USUALLY started by the same people.

MMIS is the first mailing list I personally have started.  I am aware
that the wg-isus has a number of task forces with their own mailing
lists.  Maybe you refer to these, or to some other history of which I am
unaware.

> Please, let's decide on a single place to discuss the topic.  This
> forum should be stable, not one of these fly by night working groups
> where the group disbands every three months and a new group forms to
> take over where the first left off.

I would point out that the MMIS list has attracted some subscriptions
from researchers in the field of distributed multimedia systems.  These
people are unlikely to join a more broadly-based mailing list such as
NIR (unless it was otherwise quiet), and we would miss their input.

Chris Adie                                   Phone:  +44 31 650 3363
Edinburgh University Computing Service       Fax:    +44 31 662 4809
University Library, George Square            Email:  C.J.Adie@edinburgh.ac.uk
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ, United Kingdom