RE: [NSIS] Requirement Section 5.3.2

"Schneider, Marco" <schneider@tri.sbc.com> Tue, 12 March 2002 21:17 UTC

From: "Schneider, Marco" <schneider@tri.sbc.com>
To: "'Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)'" <Georgios.Karagiannis@eln.ericsson.se>, 'Steven Berson' <berson@isi.edu>
Cc: "'brunner@ccrle.nec.de'" <brunner@ccrle.nec.de>, nsis@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [NSIS] Requirement Section 5.3.2
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:12:50 -0600
Sender: nsis-admin@ietf.org

Hi Georgios,

The point of the example is that the network may want to limit the duration
that it grants for a session and thus its corresponding resources (such as a
QOS connection). So in this case the network needs to be able to revoke
resources upon the expiration of some time period. In thinking about this
example I was wondering whether it would be useful to make duration an
explicit part of the reservation semantics.

1) A host requests from network a service of one hour duration. For example
a video call to a friend.
2) Above is realized via session negotiation that results in token that is
passed back to the host. The token permits a QOS connection of one hour
duration at 5 Mbps
3) The host (QOS Initiator) includes the token in the NSIS setup message
requesting a 5Mbps connection.
4) The QOS Controller uses the token to validate the reservation and allows
the setup to go through.
(See draft-ietf-sip-call-auth-0?.txt as well as
draft-ietf-rap-session-auth-0?.txt)

Now what happens when one hour is up? Ideally the host releases the
resources but if the host does not the network will (otherwise the user gets
more than they paid for). When the network releases the resources there
should be a cause code that says your time was up or at the very least
indicates that this was due to service policy.

Now my question is: given that the reservation is intended to be of a
precise duration should we make this explicit or is it better for this to be
transparent? Is so why?

Regarding Scalability, I do not understand your claim that this is very
non-scalable. For every flow reservation the network presumably will need to
store the amount reserved (at least one piece of information). A reservation
duration requires one additional piece of information (at the edge) that
does not propagate across the network.

Best Regards,
Marco