[Ntp] Antw: Re: Calls for Adoption -- NTP Extension Field drafts -- Four separate drafts

"Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Wed, 28 August 2019 08:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:19:57 +0200
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>, odonoghue@isoc.org, Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung@meinberg.de>
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: Re: Calls for Adoption -- NTP Extension Field drafts -- Four separate drafts

>>> Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung@meinberg.de> schrieb am 28.08.2019 um 08:54
in
Nachricht <BCA949D7-7D92-43A9-9766-573559A9FC70@meinberg.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I do not support adopting all four drafts, I believe that we should either
> integrate them into a new revision of NTP ("NTPv5") or fix them
> problems/issues they address in that new "NTPv5" RFC. Most of the issues
> addressed by those drafts can be easily solved by changing/expanding the NTP

> packet format for "NTPv5".
>
> The "REFID" draft would be obsolete if an NTPv5 packet header for a server
> mode packet by definition includes  a "MY_ID" field.

Hi!

Still I guess with a REFID as extension field could provide a solution
"sooner" as NTPv5, and it could be available in selected NTPv4 servers in the
near future.

> The "MAC/last extension field" draft would be obsolete if we define that
> NTPv5 does only support Extension Fields as allowed additional data and a
MAC
> in v5 is always transported inside an extension field (the "MAC-EF" approach

> as described in the draft, for example).

Just a random thought: Would it make sense for NTPv5 to create a completely
new packet format, or should NTPv5 be based on extension fields? Some old
clients could still try to interpret a new format with old rules (inoring the
version number). With extension fields the old clients could use NTPv5
"somewhat" (ignoring all true v5 additions), while with a new format those
clients will have a problem.

Regards,
Ulrich

> The "I-DO extension field" draft would be something I would integrate into a

> "NTPv5" RFC as a mandatory requirement for NTP servers.
>
> The "Extended Information Extension Field" draft would be obsolete if we
> introduce either additional packet header fields in v5 or just defined a new

> EF for information that we think should be available from the server. That
EF