Re: [OAUTH-WG] Requesting mutliple scope, but user authorizes not all

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Wed, 01 December 2010 21:36 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: David Primmer <primmer@google.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:37:24 -0500
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Requesting mutliple scope, but user authorizes not all

Just as a matter of clarification about the downscope language in the
spec:

The downscoping capability here is intended mostly for getting
special-use tokens, for things like redelegation to other apps. So say I
grant access to AppA with scope "read write", and AppA gets a refresh
and access token. AppA can then present its refresh token to the token
endpoint and request an access token with scope "read" in order to get a
downscoped token (in this example, a read-only token), either to limit
the vulnerabilities of tokens in flight or to hand to another app. The
key is that AppA's request for a downscoped token with their
previously-verified grant will not reprompt the user.

 -- Justin