Re: [OAUTH-WG] Refresh Tokens

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Thu, 11 August 2011 18:35 UTC

From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: "William J. Mills" <wmills@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:35:55 -0400
Cc: "OAuth WG (oauth@ietf.org)" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Refresh Tokens

Isn't this what section 1.5 is already there for?

   Refresh tokens are credentials used to obtain access tokens.  Refresh
   tokens are issued to the client by the authorization server and are
   used to obtain a new access token when the current access token
   becomes invalid or expires, or to obtain additional access tokens
   with identical or narrower scope (access tokens may have a shorter
   lifetime and fewer permissions than authorized by the resource
   owner).  Issuing a refresh token is optional and is included when
   issuing an access token.

   A refresh token is a string representing the authorization granted to
   the client by the resource owner.  The string is usually opaque to
   the client.  The token denotes an identifier used to retrieve the
   authorization information.  Unlike access tokens, refresh tokens are
   intended for use only with authorization servers and are never sent
   to resource servers.

What could make this text clearer?

(Though while I'm here, I just noticed a nit:
  "Issuing a refresh token is optional and is included when issuing an
access token."

Could be clearer, as in something like:

 "Issuing a refresh token is optional, but when one is issued it is
included along with an access token.")

 -- Justin