Re: [ogpx] verbiage : domain, agent domain, region domain, trust domain , service, etc.

"Robert G. Jakabosky" <bobby@sharedrealm.com> Tue, 30 March 2010 00:06 UTC

From: "Robert G. Jakabosky" <bobby@sharedrealm.com>
To: ogpx@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:07:14 -0800
Subject: Re: [ogpx] verbiage : domain, agent domain, region domain, trust domain , service, etc.

On Monday 29, Meadhbh Hamrick wrote:
> if you're saying "we shouldn't dictate how services are deployed" then
> you're missing the point of a domain.

No.  I just think that "Asset Service" is clear then "Asset Domain".

> a domain is an abstraction which represents characteristics of a
> collection of machines that are operating in concert to provide a
> service. some of these characteristics are:

A "Service" can be a "collection of machines that are operating in concert to
provide a service".  If I run a company the provides an "Email Service" to my
customer, then I may have deployed many servers to provide that
one "Service".

>   * what service does the domain provide?

This makes me think you are asking "what services does the 'google.com' domain
provide?".  At least that would be the first thing that comes to my mind.  I
know now that the "domain" we are talking about here is not the same thing as
a domain name like 'google.com'.  But I think it will be confusing to new
members when they first join VWRAP.

>   * what end entities on the network does it trust?
>   * which are trusted by it?
>   * who is the responsible party for the domain?

A company that provides an "Email Service" might use third party DNS/Web
services from another company to provide the "Email Service" under one domain
name.  The customer only sees one "responsible party" when dealing with
the "Email Service".