RE: Comments on ECC draft

"Dominikus Scherkl" <Dominikus.Scherkl@glueckkanja.com> Tue, 24 September 2002 07:51 UTC

Subject: RE: Comments on ECC draft
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:46:28 +0200
From: Dominikus Scherkl <Dominikus.Scherkl@glueckkanja.com>
To: Len Sassaman <rabbi@abditum.com>, ietf-openpgp@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

> I'd like to bring this up again before the next revision of
> the draft. How close are we to consensus on the ECC semantics?

Really?
Indeed I thought there isn't anybody interessted in this...
what a very positive surprise.

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 hal@finney.org wrote:
>
> > We have been looking at the ECC issue and have a few comments on the
> > proposed draft by Dominikus Scherkl and Christoph Fausak.
> >
> > Broadly speaking it looks very good.

As the IEEE has changed it's proposed standard P1363 to allow
for an additionaly point-compression method with no patents
on it (I worked hardly on this), we should have no problem
with this topic.
But I don't know about the current status of other pending
patents.

I will soon submit an updated version of my (long ago expired)
draft soon...

> I'm not against ECC in OpenPGP, but given how close 2440bis is to last
> call, perhaps the ECC specification could go in a companion RFC?
This way is what I intended with my draft.
And I think there's no need to hurry, too, but

> > OpenSSL now has ECC in it, and there is an ECC in TLS draft
> > being proposed
> That's not certain yet, [and the TLS draft is]
> ... by the same group who did the OpenSSL implementation.

do we realy need to be the last to add ECC to our standard ?