Diffs for next draft

Jon Callas <jon@callas.org> Wed, 22 August 2001 23:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:52:12 -0700
To: ietf-openpgp@imc.org
From: Jon Callas <jon@callas.org>
Subject: Diffs for next draft
Sender: owner-ietf-openpgp@mail.imc.org

Here's everything I have. If there's something you want me to do and I've
been obtuse, let me know again, and it'll get in. I'm planning on
submitting the draft in about 24 hours. I can always do another one when
something's omitted, so don't panic.

	Jon

3,6c3,6
< Category: INTERNET-DRAFT                  Counterpane Internet Security
< draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-02.txt
< Expires Apr 2001                                       Lutz Donnerhacke
< October 2000                         IN-Root-CA Individual Network e.V.
---
> Category: INTERNET-DRAFT                       Wave Systems Corporation
> draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-03.txt
> Expires Feb 2002                                       Lutz Donnerhacke
> August 2001                          IN-Root-CA Individual Network e.V.
15c15
<                  draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-02.txt
---
>                  draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-03.txt
18c18
< Copyright 2000 by The Internet Society. All Rights Reserved.
---
> Copyright 2001 by The Internet Society. All Rights Reserved.
400,401c400,401
< 15       -- Symmetrically Encrypted and Integrity Protected Data Packet
< 16       -- Modification Detection Code Packet
---
> 18       -- Symmetrically Encrypted and Integrity Protected Data Packet
> 19       -- Modification Detection Code Packet
530a531,540
> Algorithm Specific Fields for ElGamal signatures:
> .block on -
> MPI of ElGamal value a = g**k mod p.
> MPI of ElGamal value b = (h-a*x)/k mod p-1.
> .block off
>
> The hash h is PKCS-1 padded exactly the same way as for the above
> described RSA signatures.

537a548,550
> SHA256:     0x60, 0x86, 0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x01
> SHA384:     0x60, 0x86, 0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x02
> SHA512:     0x60, 0x86, 0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x03
545a559,561
> SHA256:     2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.1
> SHA384:     2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.2
> SHA512:     2.16.840.1.101.3.4.2.3
567a584,598
> .block blank
> SHA256:     0x30, 0x31, 0x30, 0x0d, 0x06, 0x09, 0x60, 0x86,
>             0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x01, 0x05,
>             0x00, 0x04, 0x20
>
> .block blank
> SHA384:     0x30, 0x41, 0x30, 0x0d, 0x06, 0x09, 0x60, 0x86,
>             0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x02, 0x05,
>             0x00, 0x04, 0x30
>
> .block blank
> SHA512:     0x30, 0x51, 0x30, 0x0d, 0x06, 0x09, 0x60, 0x86,
>             0x48, 0x01, 0x65, 0x03, 0x04, 0x02, 0x03, 0x05,
>             0x00, 0x04, 0x40

765a797,799
> Since the user name space is in the form of an email address,
>implementors MAY wish to arrange for that address to reach a person who
>can be consulted about the use of the named tag.  Note that due to UTF-8
>encoding, not all valid user space name tags are valid email addresses.

852c886
< 1 - Modification Detection (packets 15 and 16)
---
> 1 - Modification Detection (packets 18 and 19)
863c897
< When a signature is made over a key, the hash data starts with the octet
0x99, followed by a two-octet length of the key, and then body of the key
packet. (Note that this is an old-style packet header for a key packet with
two-octet length.) A subkey signature (type 0x18) then hashes the subkey,
using the same format as the main key. Key revocation signatures (types
0x20 and 0x28) hash only the key being revoked.
---
> When a signature is made over a key, the hash data starts with the octet
>0x99, followed by a two-octet length of the key, and then body of the key
>packet. (Note that this is an old-style packet header for a key packet
>with two-octet length.) A subkey signature (type 0x18) then hashes the
>subkey, using the same format as the main key (also using 0x99 as the
>first octet). Key revocation signatures (types 0x20 and 0x28) hash only
>the key being revoked.
1071c1105,1106
< Two-octet checksum of the plaintext of the algorithm-specific portion
(sum of all octets, mod 65536).
---
> Two-octet checksum of the plaintext of the algorithm-specific portion
>(sum of all octets, mod 65536). This checksum is encrypted together with
>the algorithm- specific fields.

1172c1207
< .head 2 Sym. Encrypted Integrity Protected Data Packet (Tag 15)
---
> .head 2 Sym. Encrypted Integrity Protected Data Packet (Tag 18)
1204c1239
< .head 2 Modification Detection Code Packet (Tag 16)
---
> .head 2 Modification Detection Code Packet (Tag 19)
1523c1558
< Implementations MUST implement Triple-DES. Implementations SHOULD
implement IDEA and CAST5.Implementations MAY implement any other algorithm.
---
> Implementations MUST implement Triple-DES. Implementations SHOULD
>implement AES-128 and CAST5. Implementations that interoperate with PGP
>2.6 or earlier need to support IDEA, as that is the only symmetric cipher
>those versions use. Implementations MAY implement any other algorithm.
1545c1580
< 4          - Reserved for double-width SHA (experimental)
---
> 4          - Reserved for double-width SHA (experimental, obviated)
1548a1584,1586
> 8          - SHA256                                "SHA256"
> 9          - SHA384                                "SHA384"
> 10         - SHA512                                "SHA512"
1754c1792
< If an Elgamal key is to be used for both signing and encryption, extra
care must be taken in creating the key.
---
> If an Elgamal key [ELGAMAL] is to be used for both signing and
>encryption, extra care must be taken in creating the key.
1756c1794
< An ElGamal key consists of a generator g, a prime modulus p, a secret
exponent x, and a public value y = g^x mod p.
---
> An Elgamal key consists of a generator g, a prime modulus p, a secret
>exponent x, and a public value y = g^x mod p.
1764c1802
< Details on safe use of Elgamal signatures may be found in [MENEZES],
which discusses all the weaknesses described above.
---
> Details on safe use of Elgamal signatures may be found in [MENEZES],
>which discusses all the weaknesses described above. Please note that
>Elgamal signatures are controversial; because of the care that must be
>taken with Elgamal keys, many implementations forego them.
1915,1917c1953,1955
< Counterpane Internet Security, Inc.
< 3031 Tisch Way, suite 100 East Plaza
< San Jose, CA 95128, USA