Re: [OPSAWG] WGLC on draft-ietf-opsawg-mpls-tp-oam-def

Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com> Thu, 03 February 2011 21:59 UTC

From: Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, "Bert (IETF) Wijnen" <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:02:38 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] WGLC on draft-ietf-opsawg-mpls-tp-oam-def

Please see in-line...

Snip...

> > 2. I am not sure that the document is clear in how/where I
> should categorize/put
> >     CONFIGURATION. For example Netconf? Is that part of
> OAM? There is some
> >     configuration listed under "Maintenance" on page 7.
> >     I can see it can also be used for Provisioning.
>
> My understanding is that the document takes the viewpoint
> that OAM is mostly horizontal, that is inband (element <->
> element), and NETCONF pretty much is designed/expected to be
> used vertically (element <-> element mgr <-> network mgr). If
> my interpretation is correct, NETCONF really is a Mgmt
> protocol, not an OAM protocol.
>
> >     And then there is FCAPS, where it could fall under the C.
>
> As the document states, FCAPS is a complementary functional
> categorization, but even though NETCONF matches the C well,
> you also need a configuration protocol to do things such as
> security management. In fact, management protocols and data
> models usually work across the functional FCAPS boundaries
> and hence classifying protocols or data models along FCAPS
> boundaries is IMHO a pointless exercise.
>
> My reading of the document is that it takes the following
> viewpoint (perhaps it even makes sense to include a figure?
> Of course, this makes some asymmetry stand out):
>
>       +--------- O&M -------+
>       |                     |
>      OAM                   Mgmt
>      - Operations          - Fault
>      - Administration      - Configuration
>      - Maintenance         - Accounting
>      - (Provisioning)      - Performance
>                            - Security
>      - horizontal          - vertical
>
> The text stating that "Provisioning" is outside the scope of
> the document but then a definition is provided is kind of interesting.
> Perhaps the idea was to say that "Provisioning" is outside
> the scope of OAM?  That would IMHO make more sense (and I
> would not mind to have OAMP defined as OAM plus Provisioning).

We simply did not want to cover examples of provisioning in this document.  I do like your suggestion to point out that "provisioning" is not usually covered by the OAM acronym, that is why there is an &P added sometimes.

> While I find the document in general useful, especially
> section 3, I suggest to merge the content of section 4 into
> the beginning of 3. It is kind of odd to read the rationale
> for the recommended acronyms before seeing the acronyms being
> recommended.

We had the recommendations summarized in Section 4.  I'm ok with putting the recommendation at the top of section 3.

> Personally, I am not too happy with the choice of the O&M
> acronym because it is very easy to confuse with OAM - the
> difference really does not stand out.

The O&M acronym seems to be the one that is most confused with OAM (when talking with non-management folks).  That is why I think it is important to show both OAM and O&M.  If you want to equate O&M with OAM+Mgmt, we could point that out in the document.

I'm also not sure about including the figure because lining up OAM and FCAPS in that way doesn't really show off that one is horizontal and one is vertical.

Something like a matrix might be better...

---------------------------------
O |     |     |     |     |     |
---------------------------------
A |     |     |     |     |     |
---------------------------------
M |     |     |     |     |     |
---------------------------------
     F     C     A     P     S

This would point out that there is not a one-to-one mapping of what we mean by OAM to FCAPS.  As said before, FCAPS is more vertically oriented dealing with NE to EMS communication while the term OAM is horizontally oriented dealing with NE to NE communication.  So a simple picture like this might be helpful...

         NMS
        /    \
    (FCAPS)  (FCAPS)
     EMS        EMS