Re: [OPSAWG] 🔔 WG LC: Export of Segment Routing over IPv6 Information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)

Benoit Claise <benoit.claise@huawei.com> Mon, 05 December 2022 18:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 19:02:43 +0100
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
From: Benoit Claise <benoit.claise@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] 🔔 WG LC: Export of Segment Routing over IPv6 Information in IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)

Hi Med,

On 11/30/2022 4:12 PM, mohamed.boucadair@orange.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This version addresses all the comments raised in my previous review
> of the document. I have only very few comments:
>
>   * Section “5.9.  srhActiveSegmentIPv6Type”: please add the pointer
>     to the IANA registry under “Additional Information”.

That makes sense.

OLD:

    Additional Information:  [RFC-to-be]

NEW:

    Additional Information:  [IPFIX IPv6 SRH Segment Type Subregistry]
    Note to IANA: replace [IPFIX IPv6 SRH Segment Type Subregistry] with the URL

Now, I double-checked the first three subregistries in [IPFIX-IANA], with an IPFIX subregistry.

_mplsTopLabelType = 46_ There is a discrepancy between the URL in
"Description" and "Additional Information " Actually, the one in
"Additional Information " is wrong _Forwarding Status = 89._
I would have been expecting the "Additional Information" to contain a pointer tohttps://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.xhtml#forwarding-status
Instead it contains: See "NetFlow Version 9 Flow-Record Format" [CCO-NF9FMT  <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk362/technologies_white_paper09186a00800a3db9.html>]. _classificationEngineId = 101_ The following must move from the
description to the "Additional Information"  Values for this field are
listed in the Classification Engine IDs registry. See
[https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.xhtml#classification-engine-ids]
So it seems that we need to update our
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucla-opsawg-ipfix-fixes/  draft. :-)

>  *
>

>   * Section 6.3:
>       o Is there any SPRING document that explains the motivation for
>         having more than one SRH?

Let me search for this.

>  *
>       o Please reword these two sentences:
>
>    OLD:
>
>    [RFC8200] describes the support of multiple extension headers in one
>    IPv6 packet.  Allowing the use of multiple SRH per SRv6 packet.

>       o I’m afraid the SHOULD normative language for the ordering is
>         not required as it is redundant (?) with this part from RFC7011:
>
>    If an Information Element is required more than once in a Template,
>
>    the different occurrences of this Information Element SHOULD follow
>
>    the logical order of their treatments by the Metering Process.

proposal:
OLD:

   The
    export of the same IE multiple times in one data record and related
    template is supported and the order within the packet SHOULD be
    preserved in the IPFIX export according to Section 8 of [RFC7011].

NEW:
    The export of the same IE multiple times in one data record and related
    template is supported, following the IPFIX specifications [RFC7011] that mentions:
    "If an Information Element is required more than once in a Template,

  the different occurrences of this Information Element SHOULD follow

  the logical order of their treatments by the Metering Process."

>       o What is an “active SRH”?

I guess the right terminology is "active segment" instead of "active SRH"
The/active segment/is indicated by the destination address of the packet
[RFC8402]
Proposal: remove "active SRH" by "active segment" in the sentence.

> I support advancing this spec assuming these comments are addressed.
> Thanks.

Regards, Benoit