Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5

Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com> Sat, 19 January 2008 22:00 UTC

From: Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:06:15 -0800

I just re-read all discussion from charter skeleton 3 onwards and
here is some input from me:

- regarding work with other wg's.   Can we have a paragraph in the
charter that says something like (and I take some wording from Dan
Roascanu's comment as well as IPPM wg (where I remember this came up
when I was co-chair there):

" The principal input of the Working Group are operational experience
and needs.  The intended output of the wg is to provide guidance to
the operators community as well as to Working Groups that develop
protocols or the community of protocol developers at large to promote
consistent approaches for supporting existing operational security
practices and to promote new approaches where operationally desired.
Within the IETF process, OPsec security practice documents will be
subject to as rigorous a scrutiny for usefulness, clarity, and
accuracy as other protocol standards. The OPsec WG will interact with
other areas of IETF activity whose scope intersect with the
requirement of these specific practices. These include working groups
such as BMWG, v6ops, and <insert others?>".

- in v6ops there's discussion on draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3330-for-
ipv6-04.txt .......specific to which prefixes should get
filtered.......we probably want to support/comment on that work?!?

- Some work items I see as relevant:

  -- IPv6 specific operational security concerns (despite common
'it's no different than v4' comments) I think there's things like RA
advertisement suppression and some similar things that may need some
consideration.

-- logging document...definitely needs to be included somehow....is
Tina signed up for the work?  [I totally am in sync with George's
comment a few weeks ago that getting operator input was
tough.......especially as doc editors.........it is important to get
people signed up for the writing part....and no, I'm not volunteering
right now.......]

-- AAA related things...how devices get authenticated to and how
activities get logged/audited

One thing that I see in practice is that things that are a 'duh - of
course you would do that'  is not something that's second nature to
all operators, especially the ones with less experience.  And make
that ditto for new equipment vendors.  I have a story where I had to
explain a year ago why NTP was important for timestamping of
logs :)    Anyhow.....just some thoughts.....sorry for late
contribution........

- merike