Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5

Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com> Mon, 21 January 2008 05:11 UTC

From: Merike Kaeo <merike@doubleshotsecurity.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:17:16 -0800
To: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>

> I like the tenor of this, but I am also in favor of compactness,
> and  I
> think rev 5 is quite attractive in the extent to which it is pared
> back
> to a minimalist core.
>
> would you consider it incomplete without this sentiment?

no - it was simply a suggestion........I have no attachment to the
suggestion :)

>> - in v6ops there's discussion on
>> draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3330-for-ipv6-04.txt .......specific to which
>> prefixes should get filtered.......we probably want to support/
>> comment
>> on that work?!?
>
> One of the concerns I have with enterprise networks in general but
> also
> with forwarding and control plane protection is the congruence of
> policy
> between ipv4 and ipv6 configuration. So I would agree and if possible
> amplify that sentiment.
>
>> - Some work items I see as relevant:
>>
>>  -- IPv6 specific operational security concerns (despite common
>> 'it's no
>> different than v4' comments) I think there's things like RA
>> advertisement suppression and some similar things that may need some
>> consideration.
>
> Indeed... Operationally it's easy enough to respond to and mitigate
> sources of rogue's RA's but can you suppress them a priori without
> features that may/probably do not exist in your switch platform?
> Practice wise there's something be said for not relying on RA's when
> your devices are going to be statically configured.
>
>> -- logging document...definitely needs to be included
>> somehow....is Tina
>> signed up for the work?  [I totally am in sync with George's
>> comment a
>> few weeks ago that getting operator input was
>> tough.......especially as
>> doc editors.........it is important to get people signed up for the
>> writing part....and no, I'm not volunteering right now.......]
>
> Tina has expressed interest I know she's busy so I have avoided
> hasseling her.

Only reason I ask is that the work has been 'in progress' for a few
years.....I totally understand
busy but if someone else could be recruited to co-author that may be
something to consider to
help get the writing going?!?!?     It is very important for this wg
to get authors of documents......while
input from operators is critical, so is the task of actually writing
the documents.  That was the challenge
in the past few years for opsec.

- merike