Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5

Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Mon, 21 January 2008 03:02 UTC

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:02:32 -0800
From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Subject: Re: [OPSEC] charter skeleton rev5

Merike Kaeo wrote:
> I just re-read all discussion from charter skeleton 3 onwards and here
> is some input from me:
>
> - regarding work with other wg's.   Can we have a paragraph in the
> charter that says something like (and I take some wording from Dan
> Roascanu's comment as well as IPPM wg (where I remember this came up
> when I was co-chair there):
>
> " The principal input of the Working Group are operational experience
> and needs.  The intended output of the wg is to provide guidance to the
> operators community as well as to Working Groups that develop protocols
> or the community of protocol developers at large to promote consistent
> approaches for supporting existing operational security practices and to
> promote new approaches where operationally desired.  Within the IETF
> process, OPsec security practice documents will be subject to as
> rigorous a scrutiny for usefulness, clarity, and accuracy as other
> protocol standards. The OPsec WG will interact with other areas of IETF
> activity whose scope intersect with the requirement of these specific
> practices. These include working groups such as BMWG, v6ops, and <insert
> others?>".

I like the tenor of this, but I am also in favor of compactness, and  I
think rev 5 is quite attractive in the extent to which it is pared back
to a minimalist core.

would you consider it incomplete without this sentiment?

> - in v6ops there's discussion on
> draft-ietf-v6ops-rfc3330-for-ipv6-04.txt .......specific to which
> prefixes should get filtered.......we probably want to support/comment
> on that work?!?

One of the concerns I have with enterprise networks in general but also
with forwarding and control plane protection is the congruence of policy
between ipv4 and ipv6 configuration. So I would agree and if possible
amplify that sentiment.

> - Some work items I see as relevant:
>
>  -- IPv6 specific operational security concerns (despite common 'it's no
> different than v4' comments) I think there's things like RA
> advertisement suppression and some similar things that may need some
> consideration.

Indeed... Operationally it's easy enough to respond to and mitigate
sources of rogue's RA's but can you suppress them a priori without
features that may/probably do not exist in your switch platform?
Practice wise there's something be said for not relying on RA's when
your devices are going to be statically configured.

> -- logging document...definitely needs to be included somehow....is Tina
> signed up for the work?  [I totally am in sync with George's comment a
> few weeks ago that getting operator input was tough.......especially as
> doc editors.........it is important to get people signed up for the
> writing part....and no, I'm not volunteering right now.......]

Tina has expressed interest I know she's busy so I have avoided
hasseling her.