Re: scenarios for Directory Synchronization

Barbara Jennings <bjjenni@somnet.sandia.gov> Fri, 28 July 1995 17:06 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Barbara Jennings <bjjenni@somnet.sandia.gov>
Subject: Re: scenarios for Directory Synchronization
To: Alan Wong <wong@osison.osiware.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:26:42 -0600
Cc: awon@osison.osiware.bc.ca, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, PGUPTA@hss.hns.com

Praveen,

> Regarding data mapping, I proposed "Rule Based Mapping" for most of the
> E-mail users who have, only, one account as a normal case (of course,
> without notice of users with two e-mail account, two DNs will be
> generated). For Two email account users, There can be exception
> handling i.e. "Treating them seperately" on a case to case basis.
> Such accounts can become part of exception handling by NOT
> Synchronising them through normal synchronisation mechanism.
> This will require LESS administration overheads for maintaining
> Directory.

A strong word of caution again Praveen - in my experience,
EXCEPTION case handling require more administration and are
difficult to hand over to second level support.  If you intend
to be 'one-deep' for support, or the only one providing the
support you stand a better chance of accurate administration of the
exceptions - however; even you may forget the exceptions from
time to time.

We do offer users two mail accounts, one for internal and one
for external.  This required alteration in the directory
synchronization process; the internal address was sent to the
mail systems focused on internal communication, and the external
address is provided via RFC822 addressing in X.500.  Presenting
two accounts to the world is confusing.

Additonally, a user may think that they prefer two accounts, until
they forget to check one and find that they have missed a very
important meeting.  I recommend users to stay with one account.

In a 'perfect' world, each organization would have only one source
for e-mail provision anyway.  [SOAP BOX! PERSONAL OPINION!]

Barbara

Barbara Jennings
Sandia National Laboratory
Scientific Computing Systems - Org. 13918
P.O. Box 5800 - MS 0807   Albuquerque, NM  87185-0807  USA

jennings@sandia.gov  Voice (505)845-8554  Fax (505)844-3075