Directory Management

"Ella P. Gardner" <epg@gateway.mitre.org> Mon, 25 January 1993 20:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 13:45:45 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Ella P. Gardner" <epg@gateway.mitre.org>
Full-Name: Ella P. Gardner
To: dssig@ics.uci.edu, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Directory Management
Cc: epg@gateway.mitre.org

As you all know, there's a call for contributions on the use of OSI
Systems Mangement for administration of the Directory, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC
21 N7024. In case you don't have N7024 handy, I've copied it at the end
of this message.

At MITRE, we're very interested in seeing this work progress for
ourselves as well as for the Defense Message System (DMS).  This year,
we plan to use the Generic Management System (GMS) to write an agent for
QUIPU and to define a few managed objects for a prototype.

We would like to hear from anyone who:

-has defined managed objects for Directory and is willing to share some
information

-anyone who is using GMS

-anyone who plans to participate in the Directory Standards arena to
address systems management of the Directory.

Thanks very much!
Ella Gardner
MITRE

N7024

National bodies are requested to consider the Use of OSI Systems
Management for Administration of the Directory, and to submit
contributions to the next ISO/IEC SC 21/WG4 meeting on the Directory
(Yokohama, May 1993). National Bodies are requested to specifically
address the following areas with contributions:

1) Requirements for management of Directory systems, including:

-Performance Management
-Accounting Management
-Fault Management
-Configuration Management
-Security Management

2) Consideration of various types of information used for administration
of the Directory, such as information carried with Directory operations,
information carried outside Directory operations and possibly some
information which needs to be carried in both (i.e., accounting
information carried to a Director user as well as to a management
system):

3) Identification of other objects and associated information required for
purposes of administration of the Directory;

4) Proposed managed object definitions for identified objects;

5) Consideration and identification of the most appropriate mechanisms
and protocols to be used to provide the various administration services
for the Directory. For example, Common Management Information Protocol
(CMIP) may be appropriate for some aspects of Directory administration,
while the Directory protocols themselves may be appropriate for others.