Proposed LIDS Working Group

Ken Weiss <krweiss@chip.ucdavis.edu> Wed, 09 March 1994 18:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Mar 1994 09:26:24 -0800
To: ietf-wnils@ucdavis.edu, osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk, solo@pamir.inria.fr
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ken Weiss <krweiss@chip.ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Proposed LIDS Working Group
Cc: wps@surfnet.nl

I strongly agree with Paul-Andre's comment that the "white pages" service
should be extensible enough to serve as an index to documents as well as
people. The aspect of Whois++ that interests me the most is the way the
specification has evolved from a very limited white pages service to a
generalized tool for publishing and managing distributed databases. Now, if
the code can just catch up to the specification... :-)

To accomplish this flexibility I think the protocol will need to provide a
very rich set of negotiation options between the client and the server. For
that reason I'm a little concerned by Erik's suggestion that the
architecture, schema and search/maintenance engine efforts be separated. I
think it will be difficult for the developers of the search/maintenance
engine to proceed without full participation in the development of the
architecture that defines the possible interactions between client and
server. On the other hand, I agree that one really big workgroup probably
won't get anything done at all. I guess this isn't so much a comment as a
warning flag. The coordination and organization of these efforts will be a
major issue, and probably ought to be addressed explicitly in the charter.

--Ken

Ken Weiss                                          krweiss@ucdavis.edu
Distributed Computing Analysis & Support           916/752-5554 (voice)
15 Olson Hall                                      916/752-9158 (fax)
U.C. Davis
Davis, CA 95616