unsubscribe

"Patricia macedo (NC)" <patricia.macedo@NETCABO.PT> Mon, 10 February 2003 18:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:32:42 -0000
From: "Patricia macedo (NC)" <patricia.macedo@NETCABO.PT>
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

  -----Original Message-----
Philippe Vasseur
  Sent: quinta-feira, 6 de Fevereiro de 2003 7:46
  To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM
  Subject: Re: OSPF IGP Capabilities Draft

  Hi Abbay,

  See in line,

  At 17:26 01/02/2003 -0500, Acee Lindem wrote:

    Abhay Roy wrote:

      Acee,

    Hi Abhay,

      One of the questions raised was, why do we need to advertise these
      capabilities? I am glad to see that, there is at least one useful
      application (as in PCSD).

    Yes and I think there will be others in the future.

  Right, just to mention another one (also related to TE): the mesh-group
ID, used to determine to set of LSRs belonging to a common TE mesh.

  See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vasseur-mpls-ospf-te-cap-00.txt

  3.2 Mesh-group TLV

     As of today, there are different approaches in deploying MPLS
     Traffic Engineering:
          (1) the systematic approach consisting of setting up a full
          mesh of tunnels between P or PE routers, with the objective of
          optimizing the bandwidth usage in the core,
          (2) the "by exception" approach where a set TE LSPs are set up
          on hot spots to alleviate a congestion resulting in an
          unexpected traffic growth in some part of the network.

     The systematic approach requires setting up a full mesh of TE LSPs,
     which implies the configuration of a large number of tunnels on
     every Hean-End LSR (P or PE LSR). A full TE mesh of n LSRs requires
     the set up of O(n^2) TE LSPs. Furthermore, the addition of any new
     LSR in the mesh implies to configure n TE LSPs on the new LSR and to
     add a new TE LSP on every LSR ending to this new LSR, which gives a
     total of 2*n TE LSPs. This is not only time consuming but also not a
     low risk operation for Service Providers. So a more automatic way of
     setting up full mesh of TE LSP might be desirable. This requires to
     define a new TE capability TLV (called the Mesh-group TLV) such that
     an LSR can announce its desire to join a particular TE LSP mesh,
     identified by a mesh-group number.

  I'll try to publish a informational draft detailing the applicability.

      I still have those reservations about the usefulness of many other
      'capabilities' this document describes. IMHO, if the receivers of
      these capabilities are just going to display it in a 'show'
      command, we should NOT specify them in this document.

    Since these are existing mechanisms we really can't make the
    receivers have any dependence on them. However, I'm not sure
    that is a reason not to allow the bits to be advertised with
    other router capabilities which are dependent on the
    IGP capabilities mechanism.

  Agree.

  JP.

      Regards,