Re: OSPF IGP Capabilities Draft

"Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM> Mon, 03 February 2003 12:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 07:40:42 -0500
From: "Manral, Vishwas" <VishwasM@NETPLANE.COM>
Subject: Re: OSPF IGP Capabilities Draft
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Hi Acee,

The only reservation that I have with the mechanism for OSPF is that it
cannot be used as a means to define what LSA's are exchanged/whether
adjacencies are to be formed etc., because the LSA's are only exchanged
after the decisions have already been made. So capabilities similar to the
current Opaque capability/NSSA/Stub capability cannot be exchanged using the
LSA's.

However if we allow the LSA to be exchanged even before the decision to form
adjacencies, we can get over the issue(we would require a change in
protocol). It could also help in a case similar to the unplanned hitless
restart case, where LSA's are exchanged even before Hello's are exchanged.

I however agree that this method is better than allowing a whole lot of
LSA's(like the Grace LSA for unplanned restart being used now), to be
flooded before the neighbor state, that the protocol allows it.

Thanks,
Vishwas