Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt

Rahul Aggarwal <rahul@JUNIPER.NET> Wed, 12 November 2003 05:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:13:47 -0800
From: Rahul Aggarwal <rahul@JUNIPER.NET>
Subject: Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Gargi,

Sorry for the delay. Please see inline:

> > Following up on this thread, I have the following concerns with this
> > document:
> >
> > 1. Tunnels are used both intra and inter domains. Thus tunnel
>
> Not always. There are tunnels which are purely intra-domain as well.

The point is that one *has* to solve the inter-domain case. IGP cannot
do that unlike BGP based solutions which do that. Given that why a
different solution for the intra domain case ? Note that in a domain this
information is needed only by the PEs. It doesn't need to be flooded on
all the P routers.

> > 2. Tunnel capabilities are not used by core routeres.
> >
> > 3. There are existing documents that specify the use of BGP for this:
> > draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-01.txt
> > draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-01.txt
>
> The above BGP solutions can be used only in BGP networks. There are
> BGP-free networks that require tunneling Capabilities as well and we
> are receiving requests from those customers to provide a complementary
> solution that does not rely on BGP being present.

The core maybe BGP free, but the PE routers will run BGP. Can you explain
the scenario when the PEs don't run BGP ?

> Also - for the 2 specific drafts mentioned above, BGP uses the routes
> learnt through an IGP to resolve the nexthop to BGP prefixes. But in
> the presence of tunnels, this reachability is not sufficient
and the
> reachability via the tunnels has to be propagated as well.

For route resolution, the BGP next-hop needs to be reachable. The BGP
next-hop will be the tunnel endpoint address. This in turn will be an IGP
route. Why is this not sufficient ?

The BGP
> solution has been created purely for the inter-Provider case where there
> is no inter-AS mechanism other than BGP to propagate that. But within
> a given network, when the tunnels are required only within an AS or domain,
> the IGP provides the reachability to the Tunnel end-point and hence is the
> right place to carry the tunnel reachability information as well.

Then maybe IGPs should carry labelled VPN routes too in a domain ?

Thanks,
rahul