Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt

Robert Raszuk <raszuk@CISCO.COM> Wed, 12 November 2003 14:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:33:18 +0100
From: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt
Comments: To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Yakov,

Practical cases I have in mind is the pragmatic approach to reuse
existing and deployed machinery for flooding information versus
designing new one from scratch.

That applies to BGP, IGPs, LDP, PIM etc ....

I essentially see nothing wrong with providing some one the ability to
use OSPF for distributing session IDs and cookies in this example if
they wish to do so for some reason.

As example for provider who wish to use 2547bis over L2TPv3 for whatever
reason and happens to have quite a few confederations with a common IGP
it seems simpler to use IGP then a sequence of IBGP/EBGP cycles to get
the information distributed.

So to make myself clear I would like to see if there is an agreement in
general for "protocol reuse". I also think that at some time it may turn
better to just define a user configurable container (ala community
field) in IGPs where users could put their data and flood without the
need to go via new code / new draft each time a need to flood something
arises.

Cheers,
R.